Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Efrain Fuentes, master carver




Today, after our first successful teaching day at Escuela Morelos and a delicious meal at "Frida Kahlo's" place in the market, we visited the home/studio of Efrain Fuentes and his wife Silvia. Efrain started carving wood at the age of 7 and exhibited in the United States for the first time at 13. He is part of a third generation of carvers. All three generations are still alive and carving. I believe he is one of eight brothers dedicated to the same profession. Entering that home is like entering a place of beautiful dreams. There are carvings of vivid colors everywhere. These are carvings of animals taken from nature but given a fantastic touch by their unusual positions or the incredible colors in patterns taken from Silvia's imagination or from drawings found in the archeological sites such as Mitla. Efrain takes pride in showing us that many of his carving, of amazing complexity such as the one showing here on the left, were made out of a single piece of wood, without gluing or adding anything to them. This piece happens to be his favorite piece at this time. We try our artistry on carvings previously prepared for us. We dream of imitating the artists. Because it is the year of the rabbit and I was born in such a year, I choose a rabbit that dares me to make him beautiful. This is my second time taking this challenge. Two years ago I made a deer. I was not very proud of it. I tried to imitate patterns that were not my own idea and failed badly. This time I try my own patterns and, even though it's not very beautiful, I like this rabbit better than the deer. I look at Will Ritter's and realize the difference. His is much more creative and he seems to have a steadier hand. Oh well!
Efrain will be in Boston on November. He has a person there in charge of designing his trip. I was talking to him and hoping we will be able to bring him to Watkinson. He would bring with him carvings ready to be painted, like we did today, and show some of his pieces. He could probably give a master class for CAP and the Art and Spanish classes.
Every time I meet one of these amazing artists I dream of having them go to Watkinson and maybe, if I'm lucky to invite them to share a glass of wine at my house. I had the same thought but with less hope when I talked to Vicente Hernandez, the wonderful potter we visited a couple of days ago. He has never traveled out of Oaxaca, I believe, and he would love to visit the United States. I wonder if there is a way to make his dream a reality.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea for a master class in November! Let's try and make that happen. I'm really enjoying all your pictures and words, everyone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please consider an after-school master class for parents!

    ReplyDelete