Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Message from John on J.O.Bs account...

Oaxaca, so far, was not what I expected at all...but
I expected the hectic nature of the Zocalo,
the thousands of vendors assaulting me at every corner
the amazing 80 degree weather
millions of churches made of pretty much pure gold

I didnt expect the scorpions in my room, the random girl blowing me kisses across the Zocalo, how well the group clicked the second we got to the airport in hartford, mrs neale bumping me into a cactus, the dog at casa hogar attempting to mate with me, the amazing place that phil, will ritter and i are staying at and the fact that I legitimately thought I was haunted last night.

I experienced so much culture and learned so much spanish to the point that people dont stare at me anymore when I try to bargain at the markets...and got a bangin tan.  Since coming to mexico, I feel as though I have a stronger and more diverse view of the world and a greater sense of self-clarity.

But honestly none of this will matter to me once I board the plane from mexico back to the US.  I will be at peace with the fact that I had made at least one of the childrens worlds at casa hogar just a little bit brighter.

Anna at Casa Hogar caring for everyone...including us.
"how many kids can you fit in one towel...I WINNNN"
da boyz "chicos malos"
thanks to everyone that encouraged me to go on this trip

1 comment:

  1. John, your post is so descriptive that I felt as though I was in Oaxaca for a few minutes. I imagine with all you are doing during the day you are too tired at night to let the scorpians and ghosts keep you awake - at least I hope that is the case!

    ReplyDelete